[pchelpers] Re: error message

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:43:30 +0200

Hi Re-Na and Jackie

> Hi I had this problem go to this website there is a fix ... Follow the
> instruction you need to edit the registry.   Jackie MacWhirter
> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm#reg2

Jackie, I wouldn't advise editing the registry unless no simpler
solution works, and even then it's too risky and strange and scary for
most users.

Re-Na, i helped the other Jackie, MacWhirter, with this exact same
problem about two months ago:

Basically Windows has not only forgotten what to do with URLs (links) in
your email but has forgotten what your (default) browser is. This
"forgetfulness" of Windows is a major and common problem, usually caused
by sloppiness in Windows code, e.g. installing Windows updates and
installing or uninstalling other browsers or add-ons makes Windows break
itself.

The easiest solution is to temporarily make another browser your default
and then switch the default back to your normal one. She and you didn't
say what browser she has even though she apparently understood that she
was expecting her browser to open when she clicked a link in her email
program. This sounds like she has IE and so it would be a good idea to
install a safer browser like Firefox or Opera anyhow. Explain to her
that she can switch back to IE if she wants but that it's much less safe
and that she doesn't have to uninstall the other browser when she does that.

The easy solution is to download and install Firefox and to say yes when
she's asked whether she wants to make it the default browser.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679/EN-US/ suggests running a general
troubleshooter for Internet Explorer, which is a good idea to do. Even
if you usually use a different (better) browser, it's a good idea to fix
all issues in IE because it's part of Windows and because it's used to
render (show) emails and everything in them when using Outlook (which is
why Outlook is so unsafe).

More help here:
http://www.timeatlas.com/5_minute_tips/annoyances/outlook_hyperlinks_fail_to_work

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16104