[pchelpers] Re: can't install network card

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: PcCowboy <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:49:31 -0500

Hi PcCowboy,

P> I checked the whole reg and the full control box wasn't checked so
P> I checked it. Don't know if portions of the reg is suppose to be
P> Read only, but it isn't now.

Yes, some portions you have read-only access to, normally, to help
protect against accidents or malware. As a Restricted User, even more
is read-only.

HKLM\Security (and HKLM\SAM, which is actually part of HKLM\Security,
even though it doesn't look like it) cannot normally even be read by
any other than the SYSTEM account, so appears to be empty. This is
where password hashes are stored, among other things.

--
Scott.