[pchelpers] Unable to boot into Windows

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:49:14 +0200

Hi Gil

Wait a few hours to see if anyone corrects my suggestions since i'm no
expert on this. (Also, some of my menu, tab, and button names are
probably wrong because only my XP is in English; my 98SE is in Finnish.)

Since with Scott's help you've been able to discover that your problem
seems to be due to a mouse driver called MsMouse.vxd, all you maybe have
to do is reinstall it. This is done by opening up the Device Manager
either with the Windows key + Pause/Break or the "normal" way by
clicking Settings / Control Panel / System. Then click the plus sign to
show the installed mouse drivers, highlight each individually, and click
delete.

Since the mouse is now temporarily disabled, you have to use the
keyboard to continue. Press the tabulator key several times until the
Close button at the bottom is highlighted and press Enter. When the
computer restarts, it will reinstall the driver although it would seem
to me that it would reinstall the faulty one again. But since Scott
suggested this, the problem is probably not a faulty driver but a faulty
installation of it. Otherwise, you might have to first have someone send
you a copy of the driver as John suggested.

Ekhart

PS: You can't use System Restore because you have Windows 98 SE, and, as
far as i know, this only exists on ME and XP. In any case, i'm always
very reluctant to advise anyone to use that because it seems very scary
not knowing what other settings it changes back to what they were a few
days or hours ago. I'd be interested in hearing an expert on this.