[pchelpers] Is my HDD dying?

  • From: Ellen M <ejmay@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:34:23 -0700 (PDT)

I have a Compaq laptop since Jan 2008. Presario F756NR. 1.90 gigahertz AMD
Turion 64 X2
160.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity (Belarc says my drive's SMART
status is healthy)
I'm thinking my HDD is dying on me.

problem #1)
on startup I get a dialog box: pcts Tray.exe - Unable to Locate Component
the message inside is: This application has failed to start because rtl100.bpl
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
problem #2)
I open IE & get a browser defender toolbar dialog box: Browser Defender
critical error. some functionality may be unavailable. restart IE if you keep
getting this error.

Problem#3)
I can't always recover from a sleep/hibernate status. I have to turn it off &
restart - sometimes twice. then it runs fine (after the startup errors)

Could it be because I have been moving the computer around bit lately? - taking
it to friends' houses. I always use portable surge protection.

Cheers,
Ellen M.