[pchelpers] Re: Is my HDD dying?

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 14:21:39 +1300

On 5/11/2010 1:34 p.m., Ellen M wrote:
> I have a Compaq laptop since Jan 2008. Presario F756NR. 1.90 gigahertz AMD
> Turion 64 X2
> 160.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity (Belarc says my drive's SMART
> status is healthy)
> I'm thinking my HDD is dying on me.
>
> problem #1)
> on startup I get a dialog box: pcts Tray.exe - Unable to Locate Component
> the message inside is: This application has failed to start because
> rtl100.bpl was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
> problem #2)
> I open IE&  get a browser defender toolbar dialog box: Browser Defender
> critical error. some functionality may be unavailable. restart IE if you keep
> getting this error.
>
> Problem#3)
> I can't always recover from a sleep/hibernate status. I have to turn it off&
> restart - sometimes twice. then it runs fine (after the startup errors)
>
> Could it be because I have been moving the computer around bit lately? -
> taking it to friends' houses. I always use portable surge protection.
>
> Cheers,
> Ellen M.
If you can't get control of it, contact a technician who can come and
see it first hand. The description could indicate file problems or lack
of physical maintainance. Windows may be affected by such things.
If you have been moving it, then make sure that physical stuff is done
first. That may be enough to clear it up or just improve the state of
your files and the format pattern.
--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786