[pchelpers] Re: Installing XP Home upgrade on a WinNT 3.51 system

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Eugene Ramulu <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:17:36 -0500

Hi Eugene,

Monday, June 12, 2006, 4:18:03 AM, you wrote:

ER> The annoying part is that tech support says that I need a minimum
ER> of Windows NT 4, but the actual setup program says clearly (in
ER> blue and white) that WinNT 3.51 is fine.

According to the matrix, you would ALSO need to be upgrading to XP
Pro, not XP Home.  See below.

ER> Tech support person pointed me to this website,
ER> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx
ER> which is obviously not what the setup program says.

You may have run into a bug. I think they probably use the same setup
program for both Windows XP Home and Pro, and I'd guess that that part
wasn't tested properly. If 3.51 is supported at all, it's almost
certainly ONLY by Pro, not Home. Note that Windows 2000 (newer than NT
3.x or 4.x) is also only supported by XP Pro.

ER> He also suggested that I go find someone with a Windows 98 CD and
ER> stick that in because Win98 is not on sale anymore.... not very
ER> practical of them eh?

That would be my suggestion also, assuming that you know someone who
has one.

I've always seemed to have more trouble with upgrade versions than
"real" versions.  Your situation is a good example of this.

--
Scott.