[pchelpers] Installing XP Home upgrade on a WinNT 3.51 system

  • From: "Eugene Ramulu" <eugene.ramulu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:18:03 +0200

Hi Folks

I've reached a nerve racking dead-end with Microsoft tech support.
I am trying to install WindowsXP Home (upgrade) on a PC that had Windows NT 3.51
When I stuck the upgrade CD in and booted up, I come to a screen (after a
minute or so) saying that it could not find a "valid" operating system... and
to insert a Win98, Win2000, WinXP, WinNT 3.51 cd into the drive...
I stuck in the WinNT 3.51 cd and setup still does not recognize it. The
original installation was done via stiffy disks (version 3.50) and the NT 3.51
CD is an upgrade CD.

The annoying part is that tech support says that I need a minimum of Windows NT
4, but the actual setup program says clearly (in blue and white) that WinNT
3.51 is fine.

Tech support person pointed me to this website,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx
which is obviously not what the setup program says.

He also suggested that I go find someone with a Windows 98 CD and stick that in
because Win98 is not on sale anymore.... not very practical of them eh?

I have a licensed copy of NT 3.51 already that the setup program should have
recognized...
I also have the original stiffies that NT came in (A whole box of them) all
with the license manual and serial number.

A friend of mine tried doing a "clean" install by wiping the hard drives from
the recovery console, (he said that maybe the setup was looking at the hard
drive instead of the cd) but XP still does not accept my WinNT 3.51 cd.

My only other option is to re-install Windows NT (shudder).

BTW the Ubuntu Linux LiveCD works just fine... but I cannot install that
because the recipient only knows how to operate Windows....

Any suggestions folks?
-e
Best regards,

Eugene Ramulu