[pchelpers] Re: Moving recorded files to movable storage

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerald Gollinger <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:59:02 -0500

Hi Gerald,

Sunday, June 11, 2006, 11:48:01 PM, you wrote:

GG> The USA Tony awards was on TV Sunday evening. With my PC tuner
GG> attached to cable TV and only 21 or 27 GB FREE on my C drive I
GG> just recorded the song and dance routines. This came to about 12
GG> GB. While my USB 2 movable storage drive cannot record good from
GG> the tuner since my PC USB ports are 1.1 I pose another question.
GG> Would move the files from my C drive to movable storage present
GG> any quality problems? After all I recorded on my PC C drive. I may
GG> have used up more than 12 GB on my C drive since I get a low disk
GG> warning. I thought the C drive had 21 GB free.

My MPEG recordings are about 3 gigs per hour.  I convert them to WMV
format, and they go down to 300 megs per hour, with nearly the same
quality.

A file is a file; copying from one medium to another won't change the
contents of the file, unless it gets corrupted somehow.

You may have trouble viewing until you copy back to the hard drive,
though, due to bandwidth problems.  Converting the file while on the
removable media should work just fine.

--
Scott.