[pchelpers] Re: IE browser spontaneously opening 1 to 7 full screen windows

  • From: "Cyril Halbach" <cyril.kr3y@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:15:51 -0400

On 6/13/06, Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Cyril,

Monday, June 12, 2006, 10:00:17 PM, you wrote:

CH> My daughter's XP system with all the Windows updates as well as
> CH> updates and having run both Spybot and AdAware and it still has
> CH> has some kind of a problem. Firefox is the default browser but IE
> CH> is opening up spontansously with web pages full of ads from
> CH> multiple http://ad.c???????.com/ etc. web sites. I cannot figure
> CH> out what is bringing them up nor how to prevent them.
>
> If FF is the default, but IE windows are opening spontaneously, then
> you probably have some program running in the background.

Restart the computer in safe mode.  Then, scan the computer with the
> programs that you have already.

Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything which isn't needed
> anymore (some may refuse to uninstall in safe mode).
>
> Download, install, and run CCleaner:
> http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbin.asp?f=2  Be sure to use both
> "Cleaner" and "Issues".  Run "Issues" until it's clean.

Restart and see if it's still doing it; if so, download, install, and
> run either Startup Control Panel
> (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) or AutoRuns
> (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html). Save a list and
> email it to me (it'll probably be too long to post here).
>
> --
> Scott.

 Thans for the offer, I printed your suggestions and will do that when I get
back there. We have a Convention this week so I will not be back to her
place until some time next week. Will respond to you then.
--
Cy