[pchelpers] Re: IE browser spontaneously opening 1 to 7 full screen windows

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cyril Halbach <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:11:38 -0500

Hi Cyril,

Monday, June 12, 2006, 10:00:17 PM, you wrote:

CH> My daughter's XP system with all the Windows updates as well as
CH> updates and having run both Spybot and AdAware and it still has
CH> has some kind of a problem. Firefox is the default browser but IE
CH> is opening up spontansously with web pages full of ads from
CH> multiple http://ad.c???????.com/ etc. web sites. I cannot figure
CH> out what is bringing them up nor how to prevent them.

If FF is the default, but IE windows are opening spontaneously, then
you probably have some program running in the background.

Restart the computer in safe mode.  Then, scan the computer with the
programs that you have already.

Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything which isn't needed
anymore (some may refuse to uninstall in safe mode).

Download, install, and run CCleaner:
http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbin.asp?f=2  Be sure to use both
"Cleaner" and "Issues".  Run "Issues" until it's clean.

Restart and see if it's still doing it; if so, download, install, and
run either Startup Control Panel
(http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) or AutoRuns
(http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html). Save a list and
email it to me (it'll probably be too long to post here).

--
Scott.