[pchelpers] Format Large Hard Drive w/ FAT32

  • From: "s m d" <indigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:22:59 -0700

I have several computer questions but I'll just ask one for now.

We have two hard drives, both 40 Gigs, on a Windows 2000 operating system.  The
main drive (C) is used for the operating system, and the other is for storage.
The C drive is configured with NTFS file system, and the other with FAT32.  Our
problem is this:  we have found it necessary to format the second hard drive
but neither DOS nor Windows will reformat a 40 gig hard drive with FAT32.
Apparently a hard drive cannot be formatted with FAT32 if it's over 32 Gigs.
We could format it as NTFS but we purposely wanted FAT32 because then we can
plunk it into other computers with other operating systems and it would still
be read by them.

So how do we go about formatting this hard drive with FAT32?  We was initially
purchased with FAT32 so there must be a way of doing it.

Thanks,

-Susan