Re: what is the main purpose of cloning a database.

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx, howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx, david.best@xxxxxxxxx, oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx, JEREMY.SHEEHAN@xxxxxxx, "dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:17:43 +0000

I'm a little suprised that all the discussion has focussed on creating
test databases.  The dba can often get away with murder, they cant get
away with failure to recover data. Database cloning both tests and
demonstrates that your backups can be recovered and in a reasonable
time frame. Or of course sometimes not.

On 12/17/08, nilesh kumar <nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your suggestions,help and support. Its a great group
> with lot of expertise.
>
> Nilesh
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Howard Latham
> <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> unless its a small database Say <80g then shut it down copy it !
>> Simple if you can get away with it

>> creating a
>> made
>> situation of
>> exact

>> > --
>> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
>> >

>> --
>> Howard A. Latham
>> --
>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
>>

> --
> Soni
> Temples & Softwares are more or less the same, first we build them and then
> we pray ;)

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info