Re: rman help

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:12:13 -0500

Joe

   I have used RMAN both with and without the catalog.
   It is easy to adapt the tutorials to not using the catalog. Three easy steps:
1. When the instructions say to create the catalog, skip that step.
2. When the instructions say to connect to the catalog, skip that step.
3. When the instructions give a query against the catalog, skip that step.
Get the picture?
   Other than that, nearly everything else works. Actually if you are
using a catalog, RMAN still stores backup information in the control
file.
   Since you are more dependent on the control file doing backups this
way, I would recommend that you make extra backups of the control
file. In your backup script you can execute a SQL statement ALTER
SYSTEM BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO . . .
As you become comfortable with RMAN, re-evaluate whether you should be
using a catalog. It's not difficult either. With RMAN it is easy to
have some misconceptions that send you down the wrong direction.

Dennis Williams