reasons to separate indexes and data in different tablespaces

  • From: "Rick Ricky" <ricks12345@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 15:59:38 -0400

DBAs typically want me to do this. I typically get things like1. Its faster
(as stated in another post, I know its not)
2. It just looks nicer
3. you may not want to back up your indexes (I always want my indexes backed
up, because to me the recovery is not done until my indexes are restored. If
I have to re-create by hand in a crunch its a real problem)
4. if I have a problem with just my indexes, I can just restore an index
tablespaces. So basically if there is a tiny changes that there is an issue
and it happens to be in my index tablespace, than i can just recover this.
If that is the case than I show have 100s of tablespaces so i reduce what i
need to recover. Richard Foote wrote about this too and he doesn't like it.
5. different extent sizes. I have never seen a case where I actually really
and truly need this to the point that it actually makes a difference.

Does anyone have some valid reasons to separate indexes and data
tablespaces?