Re: reasons to separate indexes and data in different tablespaces

Recoverability was also the reason for putting redo logs on a separate disks
(mirrored by Oracle), archived logs on a separate disk and contols files on 3
(or at least 2) separate disks. Without Raid, a single disk failure caused a
recovery situation and if your archive logs were on the same disk as data, you
were toast.

The 28(?? or was it 22) disk layout came from Keven Loney's Oracle 7 Database
Administration book. That's the one I first used to learn Oracle so I remember
it well. That was the optimum that no one could really use and then there was
a 17 disk layout and on down to a minimum of 5 disks I think.

Keith