Re: reasons to separate indexes and data in different tablespaces

  • From: "Bill Ferguson" <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ricks12345@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:35:13 -0600

Back in the 'old days' when I ran my database on HP-UX, I did notice
an increase  in performance having separate tablespaces for data and
indexes. It was far easier to have data tablespaces on one set of
drives and indexes on another, so if all the data to be queried and
returned (as it often was), was contained within the index, it didn't
interfere as much with the disk access on the drives with the tables.
It also helped reduce disk contention, as most of the queries could
access one set of drives, while the other drives took the 'hits' for
data writing, with only a brief wite to the index.

Now that I'm running the database on Windows with RAID 5 it doesn't
make any diference (that I can tell anyway).

--
-- Bill Ferguson