Re: concepts document part about separating indexes and tablspaces

  • From: "Riyaj Shamsudeen" <riyaj.shamsudeen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 15:44:11 -0500

This is also mentioned in this note *148342.1 with last revision date as **

- Separating Tables and Indexes

  Tables that are joined ( simultaneously accessed during a query) often should
  have their data and index separated. The following example shows a table join
  and one possible solution for managing the data:

  Select COL1, COL2 ....
  where ...;

  Data management solution:
  Disk1: CUST_HEADER Table
  Disk2: CUST_HEADER Index
  Disk3: CUST_DETAIL Table
  Disk4: CUST_DETAIL Index

  The preceding solution allows the table join to be done while accessing
  four different disks and controllers. Separate data and index files onto
  different physical disks and controllers; consequently, when tables and
  indexes are accessed at the same time, they will not be accessing the
  same physical disks.

Riyaj Shamsudeen
The Pythian Group -

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:32 PM, David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>