RE: oracle linux

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:20:44 -0500

Niall
You wrote:
   is there any reason you can't use ado or .net? The support for these
   is a lot better.

Cool! Now, where do I learn how to write ADO code that uses Oracle well?
None of the ADO / .NOT books I have encountered tell you how to write code
that won't cause problems in Oracle. It seems if the developer leaves the
defaults set, ADO tends to think it is talking to a flat file and pulls the
entire Oracle table across the network. I have one developer that seems to
understand how to make it work but whenever I ask him to explain it he
launches into an enthusiastic explanation and I find myself waking up
refreshed and it is dark outside and everyone else has gone home. Probably
how the developers think about asking me for an explanation of ORA-1555's.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx