RE: mysql - OT

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:09:00 -0400

Jared,

    It's taken them how long to agree to stored procedures?  And how
long before they agree to look into native ACID compliance??  And how
much longer to agree that Point In Time recovery is important?  The
point is that their fixated on query speed over everything else.
PostGreSql on the other hand is seriously into providing features &
functions that are part and parcel of Oracle and DB2.  Basically since
they've already got the part that MySql is playing catching up on.

    Oh, and BTW since that's what part of this thread is all about: Most
employers don't pay us the big bucks for the everyday fun of keeping a
database up & running.  Most decent sysadmins can do the same.  What
they pay you for is making sure a recovery situation doesn't occur and
if it does to get the db back on line ASAP, like Yesterday. That's why
they pay out the big bucks, to those who can stand recovering a db with
the CIO & CEO looking over your shoulder while breathing fire down your
back.  BTDT.
  _____