RE: mysql - OT

Jared,

    Thank you.  I'll put the flame thrower away.
  _____

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 1:07 PM
To: maxim.pakhutkin@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Goulet, Dick; ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mysql - OT

On 4/11/05, Pakhutkin, Maxim (Max) <maxim.pakhutkin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        transactions, PITR, etc). It's very nice to keep all your code
in the =
        application layer and only worry about true RDBMS stuff in the
database. =
        The recent push on the part of MySQL to add stored procedure,
etc, is =
        them trying to appease the people that demand them because MySQL
=

        apparently is trying to compete against the big guys now.
However, their =

You won't find too many here that sympathize with that point of view.

The idea that an RDBMS should simply be a container for data and nothing
more is rather naive IMO.

Constraints?  History has shown that these should be in the database.
Applications cannot be entrusted to enforce constraints.

Applications come and go and get modified.  The integrity of the data
should be enforced by the database.  This is really part of the
application,
but not a part that is often touched.

Primary keys, check constraints and foreign keys all fall into this
category.

Partitioning.  How are you going to do that in an application?
This requires some of the aforementioned features.

There are always pieces of an app that would be best run in the
database.
It is much faster than external access, and works regardless of which
application is accessing the data.

MySQL will get there I believe, but for now it cannot compete with
PostgreSQL,
Oracle and SQL Server for features that should be required for any
serious
implementation.

--
Jared Still