RE: linux environment question

  • From: "Ted Coyle" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:06:36 -0500

Dan,

I believe you are correct with the path set to start the system.

The "initialization or shutdown" issue is probably related to starting an
instance with an incorrectly cased SID.

All my SIDs are lowercase.  If I were to export ORACLE_SID=ORCL and the
config files are initorcl.ora, Oracle would attempt to start an ORCL
instance that doesn't exist and I'd get the same message.

 Ps -ef |grep orcl    or ps -ef |grep pmon should show this.

Ted

  _____