linux environment question

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:37:20 +0000

all

I'm betraying my ignorance here so be gentle. We configured an oracle
account with an ORACLE_HOME environment variable ( in .bash_profile) of

/path/to/oracle/home

and also set the PATH as $ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH $ORACLE_SID was also set
correctly.

connecting to the running database gave 'initialisation or shutdown in
progress'. If however we ran oraenv we were able to connect. On comparison
we discovered that if we set ORACLE_HOME as

/path/to/oracle/home/  (trailing /)

then we could connect just fine. My question is why is the trailing slash
apparently necessary?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA