Re: linux environment question

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:17:52 -0800 (PST)

I've experienced that before. While I didn't conduct very careful experiments
to determine the reason, my theory is that the ORACLE_HOME at the time the
database was started was set to /path/to/oracle/home/ (with the trailing
slash). Since it was started that way, it seemed that Oracle was doing a
comparison between the environment of the calling program (sqlplus) and the
environment stored in the running program's state (the DB instance) and that's
why you had to match it exactly--not logically match. This is just a
theory--not a proof.

Not sure why you got the "initialisation or shutdown in progress" message
though--that would require some more testing that I haven't yet done (or needed
to do).

If anyone finds the real reason or can confirm my theory, I'd love to hear it
as well.

Dan