RE: killing oracle processes

  • From: Martin Brown <martinfbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:02:32 -0400

Because of where you work, your situation may be different than mine. But if
you have 24/7 requirements, you should think about setting up a logical standby
and letting the developers hammer the hell out of it. I don't see a problem
with them doing whatever they want to do in that scenario. It's easy enough to
restart if they do something careless -- especially for PRD.

When you get to 11g, take a look at physical standby read-only. I haven't tried
it yet, but I have a huge use for it.

From: mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:34:28 -0500
Subject: killing oracle processes

Hi All,

I had a quick question that I was hoping the list could help me out with.  We
have a group of developers who are requesting the ability to kill their own
processes in the database (PRD/DEV/TST).  For example, if a poorly written
report gets kicked off, one of their jobs chooses a poor execution plan, or an
OWB process gets left out there.  The only reason they can really offer is that
they do not have to wait for the DBA team to respond.  I am trying to think of
technical reasons why this would not work.

I can write a script to limit the process to be killed to their stuff, but
something about this still makes me feel uneasy.  Is there anything that I
should worry about?

Any thoughts?

Thanks