killing oracle processes

  • From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:34:28 -0500

Hi All,

I had a quick question that I was hoping the list could help me out with.  We
have a group of developers who are requesting the ability to kill their own
processes in the database (PRD/DEV/TST).  For example, if a poorly written
report gets kicked off, one of their jobs chooses a poor execution plan, or an
OWB process gets left out there.  The only reason they can really offer is that
they do not have to wait for the DBA team to respond.  I am trying to think of
technical reasons why this would not work.

I can write a script to limit the process to be killed to their stuff, but
something about this still makes me feel uneasy.  Is there anything that I
should worry about?

Any thoughts?

Thanks