Re: dump reading

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:49:30 -0700

I had the indescribable pleasure of teaching Lex's seminars the first time
they were presented in the US, back in 1998-99.  I had left Oracle months
earlier, but was contracted to teach them because the regular instructor was
on extended sick-leave and nobody else would try it.  Luckiest thing that
ever happened to me!  Absolutely stunning material!  They were written for
Oracle8 v8.0.x, later updated for 8.1.x.  I'm sure lots of great stuff was
added for 9iR2; any idea if they'll be updated for 10g?  Or when?

I also had the opportunity to reduce that original "dumps, crashes, and
corruptions" 8-hour seminar written by Lex and his team into a 2-hour
"mini-lesson" for presentation at the 1999 "IOUG Live" conference in Denver.
I think it was one of the first times that "officially sanctioned" Oracle
internals information was disseminated in such volume at a conference?  Just
about the only documented things discussed were the words "ALTER",
"SESSION", and "SET";  almost everything else was previously undocumented...

Anyway, I taught these seminars in the US, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela,
Brazil, and Argentina.  I was also asked to teach them in Medellin and Cali
(Columbia), but at that time the US State Dept had an "advisory" in place
warning US citizens against traveling there, so I had to decline.  They were
three (later four) very dense days of lecture, which was difficult enough in
English, but presenting them through an interpreter in Spanish and Portugese
made for some very long days for *everyone* concerned...