Re: dump reading

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chupit@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:39:00 +0000

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:22:09 +0200, Edgar Chupit <chupit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you for the link and now the final question: why does somebody
> needs to read block dump? All I can think of is when you have block
> corruption and cannot recover using BLOCKRECOVER feature of RMAN.
> Maybe people from the list can provide real cases where they needed to
> read block/heap dump and their knowledge helped them?

Its definitely useful for finding out in excruciating detail how
Oracle behaves internally.

There was a discussion a while back on usenet about indexes reusing
deleted space. dumping the blocks involved demonstrates what happens.

I have a niggle in the back of my mind about system managed extent
allocation, I think that a way to investigate when and how oracle runs
into the old problem of tablespace fragmentation using autoallocate
for extent sizing may require taking a number of dumps of the bitmap
block to see what bits get turned on and off when. AFAIK no-one has
done this, they probably have lives or something.

its also very very unlikely to be useful in day to day work.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA