Re: db file sequential read - again

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jherrick@xxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff

Q1) Can somebody re-explain [db_file_sequential_read wait event] please?

Sequential also refers to table blocks read by rowid (ie single block rather
than multi-block reads).

Handy memo guide here: http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/tuning/event.html (4th on
Google after various Burleson dba-oracle.com hits).

Q3) I'm thinking of putting hot indexes into their own buffer pool since I've
got tons of memory. Does this sound like a reasonable approach to you folks?

Personally, I'd rather let Oracle manage a single pool. A separate pool means
you are assuming that by default Oracle will choose inappropriate blocks to
page out. Of course you may be right... :-)

Regards Nigel