Re: db file sequential read - again

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jherrick@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:16:59 -0600

At 07:35 AM 3/13/2007, jherrick@xxxxxxx wrote:

"db file sequential reads" are single block reads and therefore can target data blocks as well as index bocks. "db file scattered reads" are multi-block reads and therefore can target index blocks as well as data blocks.

- Can somebody re-explain this please?

using any index it finds (which we all know could be a bad thing!). I'm
thinking of putting hot indexes into their own buffer pool since I've got tons
of memory. Does this sound like a reasonable approach to you folks?

What is your rationale of putting "hot indexes" into their own pool? What are you trying to accomplish with this?

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
www.centrexcc.com