Re: awr history

  • From: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eglewis71@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 01:00:36 +0800

Hi Ed,

Interestingly, just last week I was talking to a friend who has worked with
Oracle on the Capacity and Performance management team.
They were mainly doing predictive analysis, workload addition/reduction
analysis, server consolidation type of engagements for hundreds of clients
and thousands of servers. So to have an accurate analysis and be able to
apply models they need to keep data samples and all sorts of metrics, and
according to him they have a custom java app that collects data directly
from the "em agent daemons" either from EMGC or Database Control and stores
it on its own database that has around 3years of retention. For graphing and
modeling purposes, they just get the of data they need (particular workload
periods) where the web based interface will output it in xls format.

Well I didn't know of that em agent trick... and from the collection
perspective I think that is efficient. Interesting, but I have to know what
are those underlying tables, the kind of data, and how I could make sense of
it..

A quick search got me to the links below:
http://www.pythian.com/documents/ExtendingOracleEnterpriseManager10g.pdf
http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/using-grid-to-display-database-cpu-usage/
http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/producing-a-grid-report/
http://oracleobserver.com/?q=node/23
http://lianggang.wordpress.com/category/grid-control/
http://coskan.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/how-to-use-sysman-schema-without-em/

As for the AWR scripts, the underlying tables are the same tables that the
usual AWR reports pull data from. I just derived and presented the relevant
data (http://karlarao.tiddlyspot.com/#%5B%5BPerformance%20Formulas%5D%5D) in
a time series manner and you can also build a central data store of this
perf data but the difference is you are not bringing it all over, you
already have the summarized output ready for the reports (
http://goo.gl/wUhF4).

BTW, Thanks Kellyn!

--
Karl Arao