RE: Solid State Drives

  • From: "Tanel Poder" <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 21:33:57 +0300

Well even without wear levelling and copy-on-writes, assuming you have
loaded the SSD 100% full with redo logs only then you could write into this
redolog space many times.

So if we do an exercise assuming that:

1) you have 8 x 1 GB redologs for a database on a SSD

2) it takes 1 hour to fill these 8 GB of logs ( 8 GB per minute = 192 GB per
24 hours ) - you will be writing to the same block once per an hour (two
times to redo header though as its updated when it gets full to mark the end
SCN in the file)

3) its possible to write to the SSD disk block for "only" 100,000 times

So, if you write to a block max 2 times per hour it would still mean 50,000
hours it would still be over 5 years.

The controlfiles and temp tablespace files (and sometimes undo) experience
much more writes to "same" blocks compared to redologs, they would be the
first ones hitting problems :)

But there IS the write levelling which avoids writing to the same blocks too
much by physically writing somewhere else and updating the virtual/physical
location translation table. Much depends on the algorithm used...

Regarding whether the mirrored SSDs would wear out at the same time -
probably not as the number of writes before wearing out is not some fixed
discrete number it will probably vary quite a lot. And you would not want to
wait until these disks fail anyway, but rather replace them before known
"expire time". And this expire time would be measured in number of write
operations rather than wall clock time.

--
Regards,
Tanel Poder