Re: Solid State Drives

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 12:24:24 -0500

Matthew Zito wrote:

> As far as the upgrade path, the lifespan is comparable for a “spinning
> rust” hard drive.

I'm curious if this is actually true? (What is it based on?) I would
think that lifespan would be dependent on I/O patterns (because of
hardware I/O leveling) -- and filesystem vs redo logs could be very
different access patterns.  In particular, redo could easily pound every
single block on a smaller SSD (hardware leveling becomes fairly
meaningless), which is rather different from a filesystem where some
blocks may not get accessed that heavily. I'm not sure one way or the
other, just something I've been wondering about.

Similarly, if you mirrored two of them for redo then isn't there a high
likelyhood that they would wear out around the same time?

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL