Re: Solid State Drives

  • From: Mathias Magnusson <mathias.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 11:38:56 +0200

I think we all can agree that the cost/benefit right now is hard to define.
I'm guessing that thought advanced ILM there are som use on the few blocks
in a database that gets the most activity.
Still the part of the OP's question I am most interested in, is the future
vision. How will the database world change when the price of SSD matches
that of harddisks? That day is sure to be here fairly soon and when that day
comes there will be probably few reasons to buy new harddisks,

The SAN cache changed some of the impact distribution on disk had for some
systems, the SSD will definately change a lot of things as all blocks on
them are created equal. The time cost for random versus sequential read will
probably not matter as much. My understanding is that all blocks are placed
in a somewhat random fashion on an SSD and new writes makes the block move
to a different physical location.

So does anyone have an idea for how old truths will change or even how
databases will adjust their algorithms for a day when harddisks are no
longer the cheapest way to store data? Or is the conclusion that SSD is a
fad that will fade into history over time? I cannot see that, but it would
be interesting to hear som arguments for it.

Mathias
http://mathiasmagnusson.com
http://blog.mathiasmagnusson.com
http://photo.mathiasmagnusson.com