RE: Security Issue

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richard J. Goulet" <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:43:58 -0400

We are not using RMAN encryption.  We have multiple backups and want to
use the same encryption for all of them for simplicities sake.  I am
trying to answer a "what-if?" question.  These backups, like probably
everyone elses, are going to go off-site to a secure, hardened facility.
I'm pretty sure there is limited interest in our data but management
wants to know how hard it would be to recover data from a datafile.  If
they had the whole backup could just to restore it to a server
somewhere.

This interest extends to our scratch tapes.  Once they expire they old
tapes are returned here and thrown into a bin for reuse.  If I
understand correctly the Veritas software marks them as expired and
can't be used to pull them off the tapes but I'm sure some smart person
somewhere could.