Security Issue

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:25:06 -0400

Is it possible to recover information from an undo datafile?   I have
been searching for information on securing oracle datafiles and see that
there are .dbf file viewers that claim to be able to view/edit/export
the contents as text.   I am thinking that its not likely to be possible
to reconstruct anything usable from an undo datafile.

I know that Oracle 10G has the ability to encrypt the contents of
datafiles and store the key in a wallet.  We are planning an upgrade in
a year but right now I'm having to answer questions about vulnerabilty
of backups stored on removable media.

Don Freeman
Database Administrator 1
Bureau of Information Technology