Re: RE: Useful Oracle books

  • From: <ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:10:56 -0400

Harrison's book is 'ok'. Doesn't teach you how to tune and has a huge and
pretty pathetic error in it. It says you can improve performance of some
updates by using a cursor and updating inside the cursor. Its actually takes
about twice as long or worse. Clearly he never tested that statement. To be
fair the 8i version of Fuersteins pl/sql book has the same error(never read the
9i one).

For SQL Tuning the #1 must read is 'SQL Tuning' by Dan Tow. He uses graph
theory to show you a process for tuning queries. Nothing else on the market
even compares.

For overall tuning the book to get is 'Optimizing Oracle Performance' by Carrie
Milsap. I also recommend going to www.hotsos.com and reading his articles.

For general Oracle get Tom Kyte's 'Expert one on One'. His tuning book is 'ok',
but the other two I mentioned are better.

I would start with those and read the Oracle documentation. Start with the
Concepts doc. Skip the stuff on Java, XML, Web stuff...