Re: RAC node distance

  • From: Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:47:15 +0100

Hi Ram,

it's quite strange your request... IMHO a geographic distance make
sense only for a DR site far from production site. RAC is not a normal
cluster as you know and it's a shared all environment too.

Having two remote sites implies to have a storage per site in a
synchronous replication for me, and this is not really simple and
cheap... also this solutions need to be done with something supported
by oracle..

Also, for me, does not make any sense to have a RAC environemnt, even
if with only two nodes, and services that run only on a single node.
Why don't have a single instance with a normal active/passive cluster?
Is cheaper and the TCO is really small compared to a RAC.

As told by Frits distance in the interconnect is not a problem, but
you should look at you line quality. In long distance you have high
latency and this is not usually positive.

Last.... talking about licensing money.... you may move your env from
a RAC to a single instance plus a physical standby in a DR site.
License should cost less, you may use a low performance line to your
DR and you have many options for storage if you need one.

Ste

--
http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu