Re: RAC node distance

Hi Ram,

I have no experience with 'geo-clusters' but we do use RAC so for what
it's worth ...

In my opinion this is a bad idea.  No advantages, only disadvantages.
Keep in mind that each cluster node needs at least 3 separate network
connections - one for the interconnect, one for shared storage
(assuming you are using iSCSI - don't even know *if* you could do it
with fiber channel) and one for the client network.  Having 3 (min -
ideally more for redundancy) separate high speed (min 1 Gb, ideally
higher) networks spanning 3 city blocks sounds expensive and doesn't
buy you anything anyway.  Where are you putting the shared storage -
in a third building?  If they think this offers some kind of DR
solution they are sadly mistaken.  A DR solution needs to duplicate
*everything*.  Servers, shared storage, network infrastructure, ...
Putting a single RAC node 3 blocks away is not something I would
consider (unless you can give us more insight into their reasoning).

HTH,

Steve