RE: RAC - mix Intel and AMD in same cluster ?

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:50:29 -0400

I certainly believe that it is possible, especially in highly
parallelized environments, for performance to get gated at the speed of
the slowest node.  However, I definitely have customers in OLTP
environments where they added faster nodes (i.e. 4 nodes at 2 GHz, 2
nodes at 3.2Ghz), and saw the overall throughput improve, and saw the
two new nodes with a higher number of sessions, but comparable SQL
response time.

I don't know enough about the lock hashing to say for certain, but lock
management is definitely a high-priority event, so assuming your newer
nodes indeed take up a proportionately higher number of
sessions/queries, lock management should scale appropriately.

This would be an interesting benchmark factory experiment.  I might have
some free time and free hardware late next week to give this a shot.

Thanks,
Matt