Re: Question about time accounting at your work

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:58:00 -0600

I work in the government, and they "try" to do this, but it really is
a useless exercise. I work on multiple projects, quite often on my own
time, and when they first started trying to do this, I religously
started filling out the timesheet appropriately for all of my hours.
Once I hit the 40 hour mark, then I would bill it as "unbillable", so
no project was charged, but my time was accurately reported.

After the first payroll hit, my manager called me in and told me that
I couldn't do that anymore, as any hours over 40 per work needed
managment approval for overtime, whether I charged for it or not.

So, now I simply fill out my time sheet once every two weeks and bill
everything to one account, and then they run a script to 'split' my
hours across the various projects I work on, according to the
percentages they requested my time for.

I still have to do a status report once a month for one project and
I'll list a couple thing that I can remember from the previous couple
days of work. By the end of the month, I can't remember what I did for
the last 30 days, let alone the last week. It all becomes a big blur.

14 years ago there used to be 5 full-time government employees and 3
contractors doing what I'm doing by myself on one project, let alone
the multiple projects I'm working on. I simply don't have time to
write down everything I do, when I do it. If I did, I'd be farther
behind than I am right now.

When a computer person leaves, management looks at the freed up money
and instantly sees an oppurtunity to hire another scientist that
accomplishes "visible" work (research papers, etc.). They NEVER see
the freed up IT salary money as an oppurtunity to hire another IT
person until nobody is left or there is a SEVERE problem.

--
-- Bill Ferguson