Re: Question about time accounting at your work

  • From: "~Jeff~" <jifjif@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:41:08 +1200

In terms of visibility, what I learned at my last employer (large
outsourcer) was something like this...
- DBAs are like plumbers, do a good job and it will be invisible.  The key
then is to make it visible .. eg uptime trends, patching, security
compliance, recovery tests, SLA targets etc. Metrics that can be graphed are
good. Lines that trend positively are extra double good. :)
- make sure your managers (and their managers) know when you've done
something they'll appreciate - eg, reducing costs, improving reliability,
making them look good etc
- save those thank-you emails for annual review time

Career contractors tend to be better than permies at the last 2 rules of the
game ... ;)

HTH -
Jeff Wong (permie!)