Re: Pre-Approved database changes

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:47:52 -0700

oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 06/17/2004 04:05:18 PM:

> - deleting empty partitions/tablespaces
>
> - gathering statistics.  This list has made it pretty clear that
> analyzing can cause "profoundly negative results".  We have currently
> escaped tracking this since all of our analyze jobs are automated, but
> that will probably change the first time a major system has a slowdown
> and the only thing that has changed is a recent analyze and that was not
> tracked.

True, but I have no desire to try and document when it should and
shouldn't
be done.  This is one if the areas that will still require some DBA
discretion.

I don't want to go to CC to get approval to generate stats for a single
table
that has had a lot of DML activity and now gets a useless plan. Not too
often
but it does happen occasionally.

Thanks,

Jared