Re: Oracle recovery

  • From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 20:01:39 -0700 (PDT)

From practical experience (unfortunately):

database exports taken once a day, not in consistent mode. Exports
taken around 6AM.

DB crash HARD at 5PM. Cannot open database, redo logs corrupted,
nothing we did (even with Oracle support on the line) could open the
database. Not "resetlogs", not editing the control file. Nothing.

We needed to get Field Support in to mine the data files using data
unloader because when push came to shove, senior management decided it
was "unacceptable" to lose a day's worth of sales (they didn't realize
this beforehand? Yes, I kept telling them but they had one tape drive
and didn't want to allocate it to me)

It took FORTY-EIGHT HOURS before we were back up and running.

Rachel