RE: Oracle products on vmware

  • From: Amar Kumar Padhi <amar.padhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 08:17:52 +0400 (GST)

Few years back, my ex-co tried moving to vmware with proper understanding with
oracle - issues on vmware should be simulated on non-virtual environment to get
support from oracle. This was ok as we thought that It will be clean. But then,
we actually hit a bug on older version that we could not simulate on
standalone, and then comes the ownership problem where vmware says it is not
ours and oracle says it is not oracle fault either. This was a minor issue but
it made us realize that this may not be the right time to go for hardware
consolidation for databases. Sorry don't have details on the problem we had
that time. We then moved all middletier and other DBs to vmware. Then oracle
bought in their own VM with complete support. Vmware also came out with ESX
that was much better than previous releases and we hardly found any issues in
test environment, yes except the performance factor that required ongoing
attention.

And then there was also the argument of making use of Virtualization on
production specially as the co was investing in blade servers that itself
provided the division of environment and consolidation and optimal utilization
of hardware (this was the main motive).  So do we really needed one big black
box with Visualized OS or we are ok with lot of blade servers replacing the
huge boxes in data center. And then the move to Linux started where we got rid
of other environments to standardize on Linux that further fumed the debate.
DBAs also argued the advantage of running two DBs on two different virtual os
on the same box, as compared to having the two DBs in different oracle homes on
the same os and box. Yes lot of confrontation was put on the VM team, this was
good for clarifying the facts. I moved out before I could contribute more on
this debate.

The final conclusion was both vmware and oracle VM did a good job at
Virtualization, it is matter of standard to choose one. The most critical
question here is do you really need Virtualization in production and what
benefit will it give? The marketing guys will give you figures such as save
upto 70% in data center with Virtualization and as per survey 60% of all your
hardware is underutilized, but this may or may not be applicable for you.
Don't go by the hype, go figure it out for your co. And there is no guarantee
about future, as oracle may still have hanging threads for supporting vmware
especially when its own product is also competing.

At present, I know few co who are hosting production sites on Virtual
environment with no major problems. There are many others who have bought in
Virtualization for test servers only while production continue to run in
standalones. I personally use and recommend visualized testing environment as
it saves lot of time and effort, I don't have the same opinion for production
at this time though.

Sorry if I confused you further. Let the list know what stand  your co took in
this regard.

Thanks!
Amar
Www.amar-Padhi.com