RE: Oracle products on vmware

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:25:24 -0700

I'm running several production Oracle 10.2.0.4 databases on OEL5.2 and Oracle
Application Server 10.1.2.3 on OEL4.7, all 64-bit (except OAS) and all running
on a VMWare ESX 3.5 cluster running on Dell 2950s, each with two quad-core CPUs
and 32GB RAM.  Performance and stability have been great except for one server
in the cluster that seems to have a bad fiber adapter or some other problem
that gives intermittent high disk service times.  We're still troubleshooting
to identify the cause and have removed that node from the VMWare cluster in the
meantime.  We did have some performance problems in the beginning when we tried
to run 32-bit OEL4, but it went away when we switched to 64-bit.  I've opened
several SRs with Oracle on this environment and had no problems getting support
for my databases and app servers, and even one SR for Linux, but that's no
guarantee of future results.

Regards,
Brandon