Re: "Oracle Streams" by Madhu Tumma

  • From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx" <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:09:19 -0600

I saw a good example of this at an OpenWorld session this year.  The
presentors had built a "logical" database spread across three physically
separate sites.  Each site used RAC for its database and application
servers, and the databases were kept in sync using advanced (multi-master)
replication.  Web traffic to the app servers was managed using hardware load
balancers.  Between the three sites, they've had 100% uptime for 5 years.

You can download the PDF of their presentation from Oracle's Openworld site.
It is titled "Database Consolidation for Enterprise Cost Reduction."

On 11/13/2005 10:19 PM, Pete Sharman wrote:

> RAC is part of the solution.  Streams, DataGuard or Advanced Replication can
> also be a different part of the solution.  But you need a combination of the
> different technologies, AND even more importantly processes that support HA
> (like proper change control and so on) before you have a complete solution.

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator
Pensacola Christian College
(850) 478-8496 x2509