RE: Oracle Performance on VMWare

  • From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <brandon.allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:25:06 -0500

Here is once question for support.
Has Oracle changed their requirement to reproduce any bug or production issue
on a physical server installation of Oracle if it happened on Oracle installed
on vmware?

Regards
Rafiq

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:11:39 -0800From: jkstill@xxxxxxxxxxx:
Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Re: Oracle Performance on VMWareCC:
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Allen, Brandon
<Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nope, I don't ask Oracle to support VMWare.  As long as VMWare supports VMWare
and Oracle supports Oracle, we're good.  According to Metalink 249212.1, Oracle
does support Oracle on VMWare – it's just not certified.

Ah, Ok.  It's that lack of certification that may give people pause.The few
times I've seen Oracel run on VM, there have been no issues.I've seen Oracle
Apps 10.x with Oracle 7.3 run on a VM, because the HWwas too old, needed
replaced, and using p2v was *much* easier than tryingto recreate apps 10.x.BTW,
please don't ask me how that was done, someone else did it, and Idon't know
what how he did it.  I seem to recall it wasn't quite straightforward.Jared
StillCertifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist