Re: Oracle Performance on VMWare

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, brandon.allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:29:44 -0800 (PST)

No on the support question, you still have to reproduce bugs on a physical
server install.

One thing I noticed with certain versions of VMWare, and I don't know if anyone
else has noticed.... The free versions always seemed slower than the licensed
copies. Anyone else notice that?

 Robert G. Freeman
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now...
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in
good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking
the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)

________________________________
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:11:39 -0800
From: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Nope, I don't ask Oracle to support VMWare.  As long as VMWare supports VMWare
and Oracle supports Oracle, we're good.  According to Metalink 249212.1, Oracle
does support Oracle on VMWare – it's just not certified.

Ah, Ok.  It's that lack of certification that may give people pause.

The few times I've seen Oracel run on VM, there have been no issues.

I've seen Oracle Apps 10.x with Oracle 7.3 run on a VM, because the HW
was too old, needed replaced, and using p2v was *much* easier than trying
to recreate apps 10.x.

BTW, please don't ask me how that was done, someone else did it, and I
don't know what how he did it.  I seem to recall it wasn't quite
straightforward.

Jared Still

It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your
account now.