Re: Oracle Partitioning

  • From: Karth Panchan <keyantech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:21:21 -0400

Along with partition elimination on query you can add following benefits of
partitions. Most of these I have used in Datawarehouse and OLTP environments.

Partition provide ability to run Web applications without downtime for data
load. You can partition tables and using Exchange partition data get load. No
downtime.

We can separate History and Current data into partitions to reduce work load
OLTP.

To improve performance we can collapse multiple partitions into single
partition. Example:12 month partition can collapse into single at the end of
the year.

Archive partitions can be moved to Readonly table space if needed. This way
statistics intact at partition level.

We can have compress/uncompressed partitions in table.

Please note every thing based applications I have supported. It change base on
your application.

HTH

Karth

Sent from my IPhone