Oracle Partitioning

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-db-l" <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:58:15 -0400

We are looking into the possibility of licensing the Partitioning option.  My
understanding of partitioning is that it only helps when the optimizer can
eliminate partitions.  Doesn't that mean that it is primarily of benefit when
accessing the tables via full table scans?  In that case, the optimizer could
eliminate partitions from scanning.  If, however, you are accessing the data
via an index\, would there be any benefit?

Is my understanding of this correct?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Information Systems
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

.